Friday, October 15, 2010

Sleeping Woes

Sam hasn't ever been the best sleeper. He didn't start sleeping through the night until he was one, but he was easily consoled back to sleep at night and his nap time has been regular and predictable. Until now.

First of all, Sam has started waking up at 7:00 or earlier. But it's not like he'll quietly wake up and talk to himself for awhile--he climbs out of bed, comes into my room, climbs on my bed and sits on me. I've been wanting to get in the habit of waking up earlier than 8am, but maybe that was too lofty of a goal, because I don't function well early in the morning.

Next, we've had quite the fight with naps this week. I wouldn't mind if he was done taking naps during the day, but he is SOOOO grumpy if he doesn't. It drives me crazy. Yesterday he fell asleep in my arms THREE times and after putting him in his crib he would come out of his room a few minutes later. I've had to start planning a little road trip in the afternoon so Sam will fall asleep in his carseat. Then when he actually does take a nap it's only for about 30 minutes, so he'll wake up like this:

I know I shouldn't complain because there are worse sleepers and grumpier kids than Sam, but it's so out of the ordinary for us that it's driving me crazy. Also, I need advice. Should I get Sam a toddler bed since he climbs out of his crib faster than I can put him in it anyway. Or would that make this problem worse? I put him down for a nap 20 minutes ago and just went and checked on him and he not only made a disaster in his room since he got out of his crib, but he is now asleep in Jordan's bed. Since Jordan never attempted to climb from his crib we had no problem keeping him in there until he was well over two. So I'm at a loss, I really do need suggestions. When did you put your kids in a toddler bed??

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is how he was when he was down here for the yard sale. I cannot believe he went so long without sleep!!

Kristin said...

Axton was well over 2 for the toddler bed, but he never climbed out either. I'd sayif he's already climbing out it's time for the new bed. Maybe have new rules for it he can learn, he may just stay in it.

Camille and Paul said...

Jackson is still in a crib...and I think I am going to leave him there for a while. If you do figure something out that works let me know...maybe Jayne will be a non-sleeper/climber!

I just tagged you on my blog. Check it out!