Tuesday, September 15, 2009

My new obsession

Green smoothies!!Whenever fruit goes on sale lately I will buy it in bulk, flash freeze it on a cookie sheet, and then store in ziplock baggies. I have been getting amazing deals on berries and my in-laws have been giving us fresh and delicious nectarines from their tree so I have about 20 bags of frozen fruit in my freezer, but it is worth it! It's so easy to grab a handful of fruit from each bag, throw it in the blender and then add fresh spinach, romaine lettuce, carrots, and/or broccoli. They are so yummy, even Jordan loves them. They are perfect for breakfast or a delicious snack!

6 comments:

Cambrienelson said...

Yummy--
do you have to put it on a cookie sheet to freeze it? Can you not just freeze it in the bags?

Benji said...

If you freeze them on a cookie sheet they freeze individually rather than in a clump. So you can take out two raspberries or a whole handful.

Benji said...

Oops. This is Melissa.

Janae Moss said...

We eat that all the time!! It looked gross at first but all my kids love it and it is a great way to get the veggies!

Melissa said...

Cambrie, after further experimenting, you do not need to freeze berries on a cookie sheet if they are completely dry first. Just wash, let dry, and then put them in ziplocks. I haven't tried anything other than the berries. I don't know if it would work on slimey fruit like peaches, nectarines, or bananas.

Rustin & Kelsi said...

I'm obsessed with spinach smoothies too! I even keep my bags of fresh spinach in the freezer. I usually buy Costco's frozen berries - triple berry blend and the other one with peaches, etc. Mmmm! You can also do just spinach and pineapple juice (Dole 100% juice). Yum! Maybe I should make one for lunch.