Tuesday, September 22, 2009

We'll probably be okay

One of my worst fears came true yesterday--I fell down the stairs while holding Sam! I've always thought how scary it would be if that ever happened, and I'm here to tell you, it was scary. Luckily, we are both okay, and neither one of us was hurt (except for a few rug burns on my elbow, which I'll gladly take for the team!) I was cradling Sam in my arms because he was asleep and I was trying to transfer him to his car seat without waking him up when I slipped on the very top step. I started falling forward, and luckily caught myself so I fell back instead, but because of that my arms automatically went back to catch myself. So I ended up dropping (throwing) Sam. I screamed, "HELP ME!" as soon as he left my arms because I was so sure he was going to fly down all the stairs. I reached out and grabbed his hand though and brought him back towards my body, and he luckily landed on my legs. He did bonk the back of the head on the stairs, but thankfully only barely because I had slowed his body down with mine. He woke up and cried for about 10 seconds and fell back asleep. Thank goodness!! Anyway, I gave everyone a good scare with my scream. Jordan ran to the kitchen crying and I've never seen Benji move so fast in my life. He ran to the stairs just in time to see Sam bonk his head.

So we're all okay, so I'm not really sure why I'm posting this. Just be careful on the stairs. And throw away old slippery flip flops.

5 comments:

Ali said...

that is so scary! My mom did the same thing with my little sis right before a camping trip and ruined her knee for life (can't run or any high impact, i mean). Glad you got away with rug burns and nothing happened to sam, who is so cute, by the way. scary!

Steph said...

I'm so glad you're both okay. That must've been an awful few seconds to live through.

I've been thinking about this lately, as my bigger boys blow past me on the stairs as I try to go down carrying the baby. Thanks for the reminder to be careful!

Julie said...

:( You're right, that could have been so much worse. Glad you're both okay - it would have scared me to death.

Paul & Camille said...

Glad it turned out okay! That would be scary!

A.G. Hadfield said...

so sorry - time to find a new place!