Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Having fun

I have a new goal to spend more time playing with the boys, but more especially Jordan. I feel like we play all day and then as soon as Sam goes down for a nap I do chores. So, chores will be done in the morning and evening and the rest of the day will be spent with my favorite people.

Since my other new goal is to take more pictures with me in them, here are some pictures of us playing one day.

Playing airplane..

Ring around the rosy... (yes, I'm wearing sweat pants...I've turned into a sweat pants mom)

Playing with Jordan in the pool. I got that water slide at a yard sale for $2. It was worth every penny, Jordan loves it.

Jordan played in the dirt, of course (I didn't play in the dirt with him, maybe another day)....

We even made play dough...
Jordan loved playing with cookie cutters

and Sam loved to smash his and poke it with a fork.


Here's the easy recipe to make homemade play dough if you want. It's a lot of fun and if stored correctly can last for months.

2 cups flour
2 cups warm water
1 cup salt
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon cream of tartar (optional for improved elasticity)
food coloring (liquid, powder, or unflavored drink mix)

Mix and heat
Mix all of the ingredients together, and stir over low heat. The dough will begin to thicken until it resembles mashed potatoes. When the dough pulls away from the sides and clumps in the center remove the pan from heat and allow the dough to cool enough to handle. IMPORTANT NOTE: if your playdough is still sticky, you simply need to cook it longer…
Knead & color
Turn the dough out onto a clean counter or silicone mat, and knead vigorously until it becomes silky-smooth. Divide the dough into balls for coloring. Make a divot in the center of the ball, and drop some food coloring1 in. Fold the dough over, working the food color through the body of the playdough, trying to keep the raw dye away from your hands and the counter.


Later that afternoon the boys relaxed on my bed underneath the ceiling fan. They were exhausted.

1 comment:

Kelsey Deklerk said...

if it makes you feel better, I thought that you were wearing dress pants. And if it makes Jordan feel worse, he looks like he belongs in a concentration camp when he plays in the dirt! I sure hope noone else reads this comment... Ok. I'm ending it now